Thursday, May 10, 2018

Flat Line

"Kaisan ho baba" I asked placing steth around my neck

"Thik hoon beti" he replied
I looked at the old man. He was beautiful. Wearing dhoti and a banyan he reminded me of someone. 
"Dada"! My brain informed

"Baba koi takleef hai aaj" I asked
"Nahi beti! Aaj bahut hi thik hain" he replied

After an hour of examination and history i decided to leave.

"Beti mein thik hojaonga na" he asked
"Haan baba! Yahan pe saare doctors apka khayal rakkhenge" I replied
"Tum abhi seekh rahi ho?" He asked 
"Ji Baba... Dua kariye acchi doctor Banu" I replied
"Allah tumko kamiyabi de" he said with a smile

Next day I came to my ward. Whether outside had a creepy essence. I placed my bag on the chair suddenly..

"CPR STAT" a voice echoed.
"What!" My brain shouted.
I ran to see what happened outside. Old man was lying on the bed. Peacefully and unconscious. 
Doctors shoved us away and were busy giving him CPR and slow I.v ADR. 

"We have to ventialte him" somebody shouted
And just like that my brain started repeating Dua.
" He isnot going to die" I informed my brain "No Ayesha don't think this"

"Comeone Comeone... Continue" someone was shouting

Suddenly old man's family started crying and shoving doctors stoping them from helping him. Doctors kept on trying to convince but the consent was withdrawn.

"Flat line" a nurse informed

"No" my brain screamed.

A life slipped away from our hands.

~Ayesha

No comments:

Post a Comment