Saturday, June 23, 2018

Hennah... A women's story!

"Iski haathon ki mehndi kitni khoobsurat hai" aunty pointed out to me noticing my sister's hand
"Ji" I said

I hid my hand under my dupatta. My mehendi was not as good as my sister's. Well, considering it was her day, it wasn't supposed to be. She was the Bride after all.

My sister was looking stunning in her gorgeous red lehenga and gold jewellery. As if one of the beautiful sculpture of ancient god's have come to life.

"Sonam tumhari beti ki shaadi hai aur tumne mehendi srf ek haath mein lagai" aunty commented on my mother.

"Are beti ki shaadi mein itna kaam hota hai... Kya Karen" my mum replied

My sister was sitting quietly gazing at her hands. I went upto her.
"Are you ok?" I asked
"Hmm" she replied a tear dropping on her hand.
I placed my hand on hers.
 "It's going to be ok". I said

Loud whispers near the door caught my attention. My father in tears and his hands folded.
"Abhi itna hi hai. Shaadi ke Baad baaki dedenge"  He pleaded.

"Nai bhai Sahab Poora dijiye tabhi ladki Ko leke jaaenge'. My sister's father-in-law said.

I looked at the groom... My jeeju. Why wasn't he doing anything. I noticed small round mehendi on his hands. Why do guys put mehendi? My brain asked.

I went to them but was immediately asked to leave as I was young. I saw my sister looking out the window. Looking at the scene.

After much rapid discussion I saw my father kneel infront of him. And something crushed my heart. Before I started to go upto them. I heard the light banging of bangles beside me. It was my sister.

"Uncle ji" She said looking at her father-in-law directly. She took out her bangles and placed on his hand. "Please make your son wear these. He already has mehendi on his hand. It will look good on him"

She turned to my so called jeeju and said "I hope you get that the marriage is off."

She went to her room and locked the door.

After several attempts and her not opening the door. My dad gave up. Confirming she was safe everyone went to have restless sleep.

Next morning as usual we sat down for breakfast. When my sister came out with her apron on.

"Mama I am going to hospital... Tania come. It's your first day as surgical intern. You don't want to miss it." She said picking her keys.

After a quite drive and two hours of pre operative prep of patient we went inside the O.T
After discussing the plan of surgery. My sister's hennah covered hands slid under the surgical gloves. I saw the beautiful designed hands slowly hiding under the thick plastic.

Holding her hands out she whispered.
"Scapel please"

No comments:

Post a Comment